Focus Laser Vision is a boutique laser eye clinic located in the Harley Street enclave in central London. We are a close knit team of consultant surgeons and optometrists who are dedicated to safe vision surgery, giving excellent results and aftercare.
Ophthalmic Nurse / Technician
Reports to: Clinic Manager
Based at: FOCUS Laser Vision, 20 – 22 Wimpole Street, London W1G 8GQ
Job Purpose: Working within the clinical team to ensure effective and efficient management of the surgical day, the Ophthalmic Nurse also undertakes the role of surgical scrub assistant during treatments. The ON is expected to actively lead the team in training and promoting excellent infection control principals, patient care and standards of professional conduct.
• ensuring that all patients proceeding to surgery have signed and had witnessed their operation consent form and the patient file is complete
• ensuring that patient confidentiality is maintained at all times.
• ensure that patient care is appropriate and individual requests are accommodated as far as is reasonable and safe.
• ensuring that patients are comfortable throughout process and patient wishes and well-being are central to the care delivered.
• ensure that patients are discharged from surgery with the appropriate prescribed medication and advice, including emergency contact numbers and follow up care has been arranged.
• assisting with mailing out patient information packs and medication
• making up spectacles
• performing pre and post-operative lensometry, auto-refraction, topography, wavefront, IOPs, snellen and jaeger vision and pupilometry
• monitoring and reporting on faulty clinical equipment and/or accessories
• daily cleaning of optometry testing equipment in consulting rooms
• daily and monthly cleaning of laser suite
• monitoring and maintaining appropriate stock levels for operating theatre
• assist surgeon during procedures, which will include undertaking role of scrub assistant
• ensure that the theatre is prepared, the laser is safe to operate, all instrumentation and machinery is suitably decontaminated and sterile as appropriate.
• have excellent knowledge of the policies and procedures relating to the care of the patient and the safe operating environment.
• trained Wavelight and Ziemer Technician
• maintaining a neat and clean environment for patients
• filing of patient notes after appointments
• updating clinical outcomes on Datagraph software
• weekly stock taking of medication/lenses/glasses etc
• ad hoc duties
• To deliver the highest level of customer service to all our patients at all times.
• Make recommendations as appropriate on the policies, standards and protocols to be adopted.
• Work out-of-hours (within reasonable limits) when necessary for the completion of important tasks and the achievement of deadlines.
• Perform any other duties as may reasonably be expected or assigned by the Clinic Manager or Medical Director.
To deliver service effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed, and the post holder will be expected to be co-operative and flexible, undertaking such other duties as may reasonably be required of a member of the administrative team and to occasionally service reception events in the evenings and/or weekends.
At all times be aware of and adhere to Data Protection, Disabilities Discrimination, Equal Opportunities and other relevant legislation and guidance as advised.
Carry out all duties in accordance with Health and Safety and other policies designed to protect patients and staff.
This job description sets out the duties of the post at the time it was drawn up. Such duties are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
No Smoking Policy
FOCUS Laser Vision operates a no smoking policy.
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring that all information relating to patients is treated as strictly confidential at all times. The post holder must at all times respect the confidentiality of electronically stored data and written data in line with the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
Qualifications and Experience
• Qualified RGN – minimum Band 5
• Valid NMC registration
• ODP and/or Scrub theatre
• Pre & post-operative theatre experience (diagnostics, anaesthetics)
• Experience of working in Ophthalmics
Experience of working in busy clinical environment
• Proven ability to take initiative and work without direct supervision
• Accurate numerical skills
• Proficient in the use of IT systems and packages including Word and Excel and the use of databases
• Ability to plan ahead, set and adjust priorities and work to deadlines
• Enthusiastic and eager to learn and develop new skills
• Ability to learn new systems quickly
• Ability to problem solve and work in good spirit as part of a team supporting colleagues as necessary
• Focused and well organised
• Able to maintain a professional attitude under pressure
• Able to work both independently and as part of a team
• Able to deal with matters in a confidential manner
• Able to exercise and demonstrate sound judgement, not only in making decisions but when to seek advice and involve
• Willing to work flexibly, assist colleagues and adapt to new ways of working
• Willing to undertake any necessary training for the role
• Excellent administration skills preferably gained in a service environment
• Good interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively, good rapport building skills
• Capacity to work under pressure and to cope with multiple competing demands
• Undertake other such tasks as may be required from time to time
If interested please forward your email with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org