Charles Saatchi is a British businessman and co-founder of the advertising agency Saatchi and Saatchi. He is most well known as an avid art collector and is owner of The Saatchi Gallery. He is famed for his sponsorship of often sensational British artists such as Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin known as The young British Artists. These artists often caused shock headlines and much offence wherever they exhibited due to the graphic nature of their work. He has published several art books such as “My Name Is Charles Saatchi And I Am An Artoholic”. His latest offering is called “The Naked Eye” and is a collection of extraordinary images from around the globe. What makes these images phenomenal is that they are totally real and are void of any photo manipulation. You will see images such as an elephant balancing on its trunk and a dancing tree, images that are caught by chance at the perfect moment, that are astonishing and mesmerising.
In visual terms The Naked Eye is a figure of speech referring human visual perception unaided by devices such as telescopes or microscopes. What can the human eye see, and what are its limits?
Here are some surprising results:
· 5600 stars in an average sky
· 45,000 stars in perfect darkness
· 5 planets – Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn
· Well over 100 frames per second
· A field of vision 180 degrees horizontally and 135 degrees vertically
· Luminosities and colours and how they change in time and direction
· The distances and three dimensional positions of objects and people
· The smallest object is about 0.116mm like a human egg or single cell organisms.
If you are short sighted, long sighted or have astigmatism, you may not believe the above points are possible. With 20/20 vision you may be shocked and sensationalised by what your eyes can achieve!