November 21, 2022

Types of LASIK

We perform LASIK for 97% of all laser eye treatments at Focus, with the remaining 3% being PRK (also sometimes referred to as LASEK). 

LASIK provides minimal discomfort and an extremely rapid vision recovery over a few hours. PRK, in comparison, takes several days to heal even though the final results are the same.

There are several types of technology that can be used in LASIK surgery, some being more modern and sophisticated than others. At our clinic, we only offer the most advanced procedure.

There are several types of technology that can be used in LASIK surgery, some being more modern and sophisticated than others. At our clinic, we only offer the most advanced procedure.

1. Wavefront-Optimised LASIK 

The biggest jump in better laser vision results was from the development of treatments that preserve the natural ‘aspheric’ shape of the cornea, the clear front window of the eye (high-end camera lenses also use aspheric optics to produce crisp, high-definition images). Wavefront optimised laser eye surgery uses the precise curvature data information from scans of your cornea, reducing so-called spherical aberrations that can occur with non-aspheric laser refractive surgery.

Wavefront-Optimised LASIK machine

2. Wavefront-Guided LASIK 

Wavefront-Guided LASIK is only needed for a small number of patients whose eyes have high levels of optical aberrations. Wavefront optimised treatments (above) deliver the same results for most patients, whilst also removing less tissue (leaving the cornea stronger and with less chance of dry eyes). Wavefront-guided treatments use measurements of how light waves travel through your eye (using an aberrometer) to target significant imperfections of optical quality, for specific patients who have marked aberrations. Such treatments are known as ‘custom LASIK’, and include topography-guided LASIK (see below). Whilst some clinics market laser eye surgery on the benefits of custom wavefront LASIK for everyone, the science does not support the claims; wavefront-optimised correction is the right choice for most patients.

Wavefront guided LASIK machine

3. Topography-Guided LASIK

Topography-Guided LASIK uses precision maps of the corneal surface to create a custom LASIK procedure. Topography-guided laser treatment aims to regularise the corneal shape to improve optical quality and can address visual aberrations, as well as physical abnormalities such as corneal scars.

Topography-Guided LASIK machine
×

Get Your Treatment Estimate